Thursday, March 31, 2005

Parenthesis

pa·ren·the·sis
n. pl. par·en·the·ses (-sz)

Either or both of the upright curved lines, ( ), used to mark off explanatory or qualifying remarks in writing or printing or enclose a sum, product, or other expression considered or treated as a collective entity in a mathematical operation.

A qualifying or amplifying word, phrase, or sentence inserted within written matter in such a way as to be independent of the surrounding grammatical structure.

A comment departing from the theme of discourse; a digression.

An interruption of continuity; an interval: "This is one of the things I wasn't prepared for - the amount of unfilled time, the long parentheses of nothing" (Margaret Atwood).




How do ya like them apples?

Although I picked the name on the fly, out of my arse, apropos of nothing other than my loose grasp of proper English writing principles, it's pretty appropriate, don't 'cha think?

I thought a little definition was fitting for Day One of my beautiful new blog.

Thank you Seven! Thank you for making me stand out, not stick out.

Click his link people and go give him some love. Tell him I sent you.