Saturday, April 02, 2005

Ultra Marathon Man - Road Kill Waiting to Happen

During one of my blog strolls, I came upon a blog that linked to this article about Ultra Marathon Man


Although the entire story is worth many a head shake, I found the following particularly whiplash inducing...


"In his book Karnazes describes in gripping detail the pain and exhaustion of running his first 100-mile race in a mountain range with an elevation change of 38,000 feet (11,580 m) -- equivalent to climbing up and down the Empire State Building 15 times.

'The first time I did it was really a journey into the unknown,' he said. 'I had no idea if I could withstand it.'

Despite 'pretty severe blisters, losing a toe nail as well as temporarily going blind,' he made it.

'I realized when I crossed the finish line that I had learned more about myself in the past 21 hours than I had accumulated in a lifetime.'

The next challenge was the Badwater race, 135 miles across Death Valley in southern California to Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous United States, in July, when temperatures can exceed 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celsius).

'You run down the white line on the side of the road because your shoes will melt if you run on the asphalt.'"


Oh, where to start?

Blisters? Okay. Losing a toenail? Happens to a lot of runners. TEMPORARILY GOING BLIND? Um, mister? Maybe it's the powers-that-be's way of telling you to STOP FU$#%@ING RUNNING!!!

Moving along to...

Gee, if the ASPHALT is so hot it is causing your SHOES TO MELT, what exactly do you think it is doing TO YOUR BODY??!! Your BRAIN is probably doing a little "fire burn, and cauldron bubble" in there.

(Side note: In light of his nocturnal running habit, I gotta say I think I would be okay with him being MY husband. My hub hogs the sheet and snores like a rabid beast. I would have NO problem with him going out jogging for the night and leaving me with the whole bed to myself. Bonus points for meeting me somewhere for breakfast.

What's a little (obvious) mental illness in the face of bed monopoly?)