Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Yes, I WOULD Like Fries With That

So I FINALLY finished A Prayer For Owen Meany. Yes I know, it's about bloody time. But some good has come of the reading...


Last night, I discovered the following:

"Newspapers are a bad habit, the reading equivalent of junk food. What happens to me is that I seize upon an issue in the news - the issue is the moral/philosophical, political/intellectual equivalent of a cheeseburger with everything on it; but for the duration of my interest in it, all my other interests are consumed by it, and whatever appetites and capacities I may have had for detachment and reflection are suddenly subordinate to this cheeseburger in my life! I offer this as self-criticism; but what it means to be "political" is that you welcome these obsessions with cheeseburgers - at great cost to the rest of your life."

Only for me it is blogs. My blog, your blog, here a blog, there a blog, everywhere a blog blog.

Blog = cheeseburger

Blog = the obsession I have welcomed at great cost to the rest of my life

And comments, oh beloved comments, YOU are the secret sauce.