Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Opposite of Non-Post

What is the deal with non-fiction?

Who was it that decided that fiction was SO important that literature can be broken down only by what IS and IS NOT fiction? Why is it not "fiction" and "reality"? Or "fiction" and "fact"? Because isn't that the definition of non-fiction? Fact?

We don't say that the human race is "men" and "non-men". Pet stores are not broken down by "dog" and "non-dog". Race is not "Caucasian" and "Non-Caucasian". Religion is not "Buddhist" and "non-Buddhist".

Maybe it just bothers me because it confuses me. It just seems like a round-a-bout way of stating something. What if someone wanted a book by Dean Koontz and I told them "It's over there in the non-non-fiction section." THAT is confusing. But only slightly more so than non-fiction itself.

How would it feel like to be completely categorized only by that which you are not? You could be the non-hair guy. I could be the non-breasted woman. She could be the non-tall chick. He could be the non-smart guy. Just when you thought bald, flat, short and dim were bad.

We could change song titles. How would Van Morrison have done with his hit "Non-Blue Eyed Girl"? Or Aerosmith with "Dude Looks Like a Non-dude"? Billy Joel - "She's Always a Non-man." Duran Duran - "Hungry Like the Non-Bear". Eminem - "Non-Knee Like That". Green Day - "American Non-Intellectual".

I could go on and on. You know I can. I know that you know that I can.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the word non-fiction was made by a non-woman.

I am non-continuing now.