Thursday, September 15, 2005

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall

Not only do I NEVER look at myself in a mirror if the room is dark, I pretty much don't look at myself during the day either. Oh sure, I have to look when I'm getting ready in the morning, but then that's pretty much it.

I could be in the bathroom a dozen times a day, where there is a GIANT most-of-the-wall mirror behind the double sink vanity, washing my hands, tending to kids, etc and I just don't look at myself. I can wash said mirror and every other mirror in the house and still not look directly at my own reflection. If I accidentally catch a glance at myself in a mirror (or a window or a toaster or a spoon) my eyes shy away like they have suddenly spied a live sex act featuring livestock.

Why? I have no earthly idea.

I don't hate myself. I don't think that I'm ugly or terrifying. I think that it's just that I really don't CARE that much. Hey, I TRIED to fix my hair this morning, if by, oh say, 1 p.m. it is sticking out like an angry weasel is lost in there or it is flatter than a pancake, cest la vie. I'm not going to do anything about it anyway, so why bother looking? Is my eyeliner slowly working it's way south? Bummer. I'll wash it off before I go to bed.

I have never been high maintenance. I don't even know why you'd want to be high maintenance. After all, that requires so much effort and, um, maintenance.

I'm not a complete slob. I CARE about my appearance enough to actually paint the picture every morning (well, ALMOST every morning) but once I'm done, it's on it's own. No re-touching. No adjusting. No fine tuning. Fini.